Seven Avionics Principles to Optimize Systems, Hardware, and Software Development
This whitepaper explains the seven principles of development that can be applied to the development of Avionics Systems
and Equipment. These principles can, and should, be applied to engineering activities of any discipline (Systems (ARP 4754A),
Software (DO-178C) and Hardware (DO-254)). In thinking about the Principles of Development we should consider three
dimensions of development and how each of the principles affects that dimension:
- The Process – The process dimension consists of the definition of the process, the execution of the process, and evidence,
or data, left behind by the execution of the process.
- The Product – The product dimension consists of all the elements of the product; requirements, design, implementation,
- The Management – The management dimension consists of planning (or scheduling), organization, communication, and
THE SEVEN PRINCIPLES OF DEVELOPMENT ARE:
- Understand why.
- Keep it simple.
- Have a strategy.
- Change happens.
- Evolution over Revolution.
- Make Decisions.
- Think, and care about the details.